Horses for the Holidays
When the Onondaga Nation rescue ponies came to us two years ago in the middle of winter, we were given an extraordinary gift at Skanda. As they became nourished and healthy—shedding their fear of us and emerging into the confident, gentle horses they are today—this magnificent herd of ponies taught us about the invaluable gift of love and care in an animal's life. They also reminded us about the challenges horses face in the harsher winter months in Central New York; horses' needs change significantly at this time, and their care can require extra resources to make sure they stay warm and well. For all of us who cherish our horses and want them to have everything they need to thrive this winter, we understand how important that extra blanket can be, or that extra bag of feed.
Horses for the Holidays is a pilot program created by Skanda to offer support to horses across Central New York this winter. If you are in a position to donate new or used equine supplies, or if you need that extra blanket or resource to ease the winter's passing, Horses for the Holidays invites us to put horses first this season. The mission of our program is two fold: first, it is to create a loving network of exchange through which horse lovers can give and receive supplies that bring joy and wellbeing to our equine family members. Second, it is to support those horses living in extreme neglect, as we will donate supplies to the CNYSPCA and other non-profit horse rescues for the horses in their care.
We want to encourage everyone who has a wish list for their horse(s) to contact us and let us know the items you are looking for. All communication is confidential.
How to Give:
Drop off your new or used equine donations at one of the partnering businesses or venues listed below; or make an appointment with Marion to drop off donation at Skanda.
- Visit our to donate to Horses for the Holidays through PayPal
- Purchase a gift certificate through Skanda; all proceeds go to buying supplies you designate at one of partnering businesses (i.e Tractor Supply or Country Max, etc . See below), or allow us to purchase the supplies based on need. All proceeds from certificates go directly to purchase.
How to Receive:
Fill out a form at by clicking here
Fill out a form at one of our partnering stores and send to us by mail (address envelope to Skanda Equine 4000 Mosley Road, Cazenovia NY 13035)
- Email Marion at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Tractor Supply Hamilton
* Tractor Supply Auburn
* Country Max Dewitt
* Milestrip Store
* Cornell Cooperative Extension Morrisville
* Morrisville College
* Cazenovia College Equestrian Center
* Caz Cans
* Lilley's Tack & Feed Dryden
* If Only Farm Equestrian Center Ithaca
* Skanda Equine by appointment
Runs from Thanksgiving to February 2nd every year
Go back to Skanda Equine